If you’re a fleet trying to compete in the modern market, you’ve likely considered investing in a GPS fleet tracking mobile app. These apps help your fleet keep track of its vehicles, drivers, and assets by harnessing hardware and software to capture critical data involving vehicle location and diagnostics. Before you invest in any technology for your fleet, you should understand the costs involved. Fleet tracking apps have different cost structures, but there are generally a few costs you should note in your search. In this article, we will discuss those costs.
Many fleet tracking apps have an upfront cost associated with setting up the system, installing the devices, and activating them. These are one-time fees that can cost anywhere up to $100 or sometimes more. Usually, you are charged per device. Therefore, when you are budgeting your costs, you will want to take the setup cost and multiply it by the number of vehicles in your fleet that you want to track. Some companies offer free installation and setup, so if you are on a tight budget, look out for those options.
Often, you will have to pay upfront for hardware as well. A fleet tracking device can cost anywhere from $100 to $200, and those prices may not include shipping. These shipping fees can become expensive if you have a lot of vehicles. Furthermore, if you reduce the number of vehicles in your fleet, you may have to pay to ship back the hardware that you no longer need. However, hardware costs are not the same across the fleet tracking industry. Some providers do not charge for hardware, and some offer free shipping. These are things to consider when choosing your fleet tracking provider.
Of course, you’ll want fleet tracking software that integrates seamlessly with your fleet tracking hardware. In most cases, the two are built alongside one another. Subscription-based fleet management software ranges from $18 to $80 per month per vehicle. Do research on the software you select to ensure that it is easy to use, helps you obtain the data you need, is compatible with all of your devices, and connects with your tracking hardware.
There are all kinds of different contracts that you can obtain with a fleet tracking app, or you can select an option with no contract at all. If you choose a contract, you can opt for one to three years. Otherwise, pick a provider that lets you pay as you go each month. Remember that while contracts are sometimes cheaper, there are often costs to break the contract if needed. Sometimes the risk outweighs the benefit. It is typically recommended to look for a fleet tracking solution that does not require you to sign a long-term contract.
Features to Look For
Of course, the cost of your fleet tracking app isn’t your only concern. You want to make sure that you’re getting the best of the best for your fleet regarding safety, efficiency, and productivity. The best fleet tracking apps offer a variety of features that you can use to your advantage every day.
- Syncs with Fleet Management Software: You can’t get the most out of your fleet tracking app if it doesn’t sync with your fleet management software. When your data is integrated, everything is up to date and can be used to make decisions and catch any problems that may arise as soon as possible.
- Easy to Use: The least tech-savvy person on your team should be able to use your fleet tracking app. If it requires hours of training and a long adjustment period, it won’t be helpful to your fleet. When the app is intuitive and straightforward, it will be easy to implement into your everyday operations.
- Functions in Real-Time: If your app doesn’t function in real-time, you will always be behind. With real-time location tracking, you can easily combat issues that arise and communicate status to drivers and customers.
- Allows Unlimited Users: You must be able to cover your entire fleet with your software. Even if you can cover your entire fleet now, your business needs room to grow. Look for a fleet tracking solution that charges based on how many assets you have, not how many users you have.
- Varying Access Levels: Everyone in your fleet doesn’t need the same access to the fleet tracking app. Access should be customizable so that everyone can access the functionality they need.
Get the Best Fleet Tracking App with Azuga
Azuga offers the best fleet tracking solution on the market. It features everything mentioned in this article at a reasonable price that suits fleets of any size. Try out a demo of our fleet tracking app online and see what we can do together.