AI has touched various industries, and fleet management is no exception. With AI advancements, more fleet managers are streamlining vehicle management through automation. They're also accessing insights to improve the performance and safety of their fleet.
Before diving deeper into fleet automation benefits, let’s define fleet automation.
What is Fleet Automation?
Fleet automation integrates advanced technologies and software solutions into fleet vehicle management. Examples of AI in fleet management include:
- GPS tracking. Through GPS technology, fleet managers can track the real-time location of vehicles. They can also analyze GPS data to suggest the most efficient routes for drivers.
- Telematics. Telematics systems let fleet managers remotely track and diagnose a vehicle’s health. Fleet managers can also remotely track a driver’s behavior.
- Cloud-AI dash cams. Dash cams can capture video and process it through an AI-learning network. The technology looks for possible distractions that cause risks on the road.
In one survey of commercial fleet managers, 83% reported using telematics. Meanwhile, 64% said they currently use a GPS tracking solution for their fleet.
The Benefits of Fleet Automation
We’ve alluded to some key fleet automation benefits above. Here’s a more comprehensive list of the advantages you can expect:
- More efficient operations. Automation tools replace otherwise inefficient manual tasks. Fleet managers save time spent on paper-based record keeping and manual route planning.
- Fewer operating costs. Optimizing routes saves on fuel consumption and extends the lifespan of vehicles. Automation also supports better driver behaviors, which reduces insurance premiums and liability costs.
- Improved fleet safety. Real-time driver feedback encourages safer driving habits that reduce the likelihood of accidents. Dash cams help keep drivers accountable on the road. Video footage helps clear drivers from frivolous lawsuits.
- Better resource use. Transparency into a vehicle's location and health allows for more efficient deployment. Route optimization also helps to cut unnecessary mileage and fuel consumption.
- Improved customer service. Visibility into real-time vehicle locations helps businesses provide customers with accurate arrival times. With route optimization, companies can maintain timely arrivals and meet customer expectations.
The Future of Automated Fleets
As AI advances, the future of automated fleets looks even more promising. Fleet managers have more tools to grow operations and gain a competitive advantage.
GPS tracking systems, for instance, have become more integrated with telematics data. This technology allows fleet managers to detect any stops automatically. It also gives customers the ability to track orders in real-time. Meanwhile, advanced routing rules, like predictive weather constraints, improve operations. Fleet managers can proactively adjust driver routes to avoid hazardous conditions.
At the same time, onboard diagnostics are gathering more comprehensive data. Rather than reporting faults, OBD systems capture details about a driver’s performance. That includes whether they’re speeding or braking too fast. This data reporting helps fleet managers zero in on specific risky behaviors. From there, they can map out driver-specific coaching that improves safety.
It’s also worth noting how 5G fits into the future of automated fleets. 5G networks will only continue improving over time. As they do, data exchange between vehicles and fleet managers will only become faster. Fleet managers can make decisions about safety and efficiency in less time.
Use AI and Automation to Your Advantage
Businesses have already started to tap into fleet automation benefits. These fleet operators are enhancing efficiency, reducing costs, and improving safety. Those who haven’t adopted AI and automation are at risk of falling behind.
Modern customers expect fast delivery times and transparency. At the same time, fleet operators need to be able to access data-driven insights quickly. It's what helps them keep up in a fast-paced business environment.
That's why investing in fleet automation tools, like those Azuga offers, is critical. Businesses can streamline day-to-day operations and position themselves for long-term success. See one of our many success stories.