OBD II/OBD 2 software is a part of fleet tracking that you must take advantage of if you wish to succeed in the business. If you are unfamiliar with OBD 2 software, then don’t worry! We’re here to explain what it is, how it works, and its many benefits. That way, you can start taking advantage of this technology and advance your fleet to the top!
What Is an OBD II Device?
OBD II is an advanced GPS vehicle tracking device that you plug into your vehicle. It plugs directly into the engine control unit to provide engine data that can help you determine your vehicle’s status. With an OBD device, you can monitor fuel consumption, engine temperature, emission standard, and more.
How Does an OBD II Device Work?
Your vehicle has tons of sensors–an oxygen sensor, pressure sensor, engine sensor, you name it — and a computer fixed to the engine control unit (ECU). The ECU receives signals from these sensors, then sends them to the OBD II device. Your OBD II device converts this information into readable data for you. If a problem is detected, it will generate a diagnostic trouble code or DTC.
How Do DTCs Work?
The diagnostic trouble code will alert you to a specific problem that your vehicle is having. These codes are usually four or five characters, and each character means something different.
- The first character (a letter) represents the type of system. For example, you’ll have P for the powertrain or C for the chassis.
- The second character will be a 0 if it is a generic code or a 1 if it is manufacturer-specific.
- The third character will tell you what sub-system is involved in the vehicle’s problem.
What Are the Benefits of an OBD II Device?
- Fleet Safety: You can track the vehicle’s status, driver performance, and behavior patterns with your OBD II device. Having this information will help you keep your drivers safe.
- Preventative Maintenance: Part of preventative maintenance is catching problems early. An OBD II device can help you accomplish this by automatically alerting you as soon as a problem occurs.
- Highly Compatible: These devices are highly compatible with your vehicles and should be able to track everything the sensors can catch.
What Is the Best OBD II Device?
Azuga has created a state-of-the-art and comprehensive solution that addresses all needs. Our fleet tracking device connects with your OBD software and feeds all the data you need into your fleet management software. Our system simplifies dispatching, maximizes the use you get out of your vehicles, and helps you gather data to make the crucial decisions that move your fleet forward. If you’re looking for the fleet tracking solution that has it all, Azuga’s got you covered. By scheduling a demo, you can speak with one of our experts to learn more about fleet tracking and all of our other products!