Dynamic route optimization means that your fleet establishes its routes daily instead of static routing, where you only update your routes annually or semi-annually. Dynamic routing considers traffic data, construction problems, and weather conditions that may affect your fleet’s route. Even better than daily dynamic routing is real-time dynamic routing, which uses software to update minute-by-minute. It can account for orders that come in throughout the day, and traffic situations that arise at any time. It is a necessary tool that businesses need to keep up with their competition. How does dynamic route optimization work, and how can your fleet use it to its advantage?
How Does Dynamic Route Optimization Work?
Route optimization software plans the stops that a driver follows to improve that driver’s fuel efficiency, time spent, and customer satisfaction. It does this by harnessing the power of algorithms, GPS, and traffic data. There are four features that you should look for in any route optimization software.
- Real-time Updates: Not all route optimization options are created equal, and some don’t update in real-time. To truly partake in real-time dynamic routing, you need route optimization software that updates in real-time. This will give you updated information on jobs, traffic data, weather, and more.
- Historical Data: Your software should use not only today’s data but also recorded past data to make informed decisions. Historical data helps build the foundation to create the best routes for the present. For example, historical data can help you determine patterns for school zones or rush hour traffic. It can even improve customer service by providing customer data such as preferred time slots and availability. There are many ways to use historical data saved by your route optimization software.
- Sharing Routes: You should have the ability to share your routes among your fleet and with customers. Sharing with fleets prevents you from having to make constant phone calls to provide updates. And sharing with customers improves customer satisfaction. Drivers should not be on the phone updating anyone when they’re on the road, so it increases safety as well.
- Integrates with Fleet Management Software: If your software doesn’t integrate with your fleet management software, it may not be of much use to you. When new jobs come in, you want to populate them into your routing software with ease, and simple integration allows that. Furthermore, the software should have access to customer information to integrate into your routes.
The Benefits of Dynamic Route Optimization
Dynamic route optimization software offers fleets a variety of benefits across all aspects of fleet management. Some of these benefits include:
- Improved customer relations
- Better utilization of vehicles
- Increased shipment capacity
- Reduced liability
- Reduced insurance costs
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Reduced fuel costs
You’re certain to see these short-term and long-term benefits by implementing route optimization software in your fleet.
Get Started With Route Optimization Software Today!
Azuga offers state-of-the-art route optimization software like you can’t get anywhere else. It includes all of the features listed in this article and more, perfect for helping your fleet excel and sending it leagues ahead of the competition. To see the benefits for yourself, try out a demo of our software online. You’re sure to be impressed with what you can do.